Thursday, April 30, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

APRIL 30, 2009


Today is a filled with mixed emotions. Today, my father would have turned 71 years old. Its hard to believe a year has passed come May 5, 2009 that he went to be with the Lord. That too, has been a struggle with me. My father wasn't showing much of a life lived for Christ when he passed away, and I struggled spiritually with the question of "was he truly saved?" I read and studied much scripture and still no peace came. I prayed and asked others to pray with me. I could not come to complete peace and it kept me broken on the inside for many months after his death. One night, Jimmy and I sat and talked for the longest time and Jimmy placed a lot of clarity in the situation when he looked at me and asked, "are you living your life without sin?" "Does sin make you unsaved?" He said, "Angie, we all sin but it does not make us unsaved. If we have asked Christ to come into our heart, and asked forgiveness of our sins and have faith that he has truly saved us, then we are saved, never to be plucked from his hand. John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. He then told me that he truly believed my father was saved and knew the Lord as his personal savior. He had asked my dad many times and you could not shake his faith.

My pastor confirmed this also and said even the week before my dad had passed away, T.W. Bailey had visited with him in the hospital and asked him about his salvation. My dad even then, confirmed his salvation with T.W. Pastor then said something that profoundly has stuck with me. He said he believed my father knew the Lord because in the time that he had known my dad, he did not know of a person that suffered more problems than my dad and that God's word clearly tells us that he will chasten his children. This was so true. My father was constantly struggling with either his health, car wrecks, trouble with family, trouble with friends, and even trouble with the law. God did give me complete peace over the months following my dad's death and I tell people now that I believe the Lord decided that my dad would better serve the Kingdom if he just came home. God freed him from struggling with his flesh any longer.

Hebrews Chapter 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth, he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

Today is also my nephews birthday. My brother's oldest son, Luke, turns 13 today and shares this day with my dad. We called him this morning and wished him a very Happy Birthday. He told us that he had received a surfboard for his birthday. What better place to surf than Florida. They live very close to lots of waves at West Palm Beach so I am sure he will get much enjoyment from his board.

Yesterday was my brother's birthday and he turned 45. We wished him a Happy Birthday as well and he said his day had been very eventful. Apparently the administration of the school where he works sent out a bunch of emails and text so that the christian school which has an enrollment of close to 1000 students would know it was his birthday. He said that his day was filled with many interruptions and fun! His only regret was that he did not get much work done. (you have to know my brother, he definitely borders being a workaholic)

And also on the 20th of this month was my brother's middle son, Isaac's birthday. He turned 11 and we spoke with him this morning. I try and make one call and wish all birthdays for the month of April in the one phone call. Poor little Caleb, the youngest son of my brother is the August birthday but that can be a blessing as well. He stands out alone in his birthday month with his family!

Memories:

fishing trip to Florida (look at how young our Rachael is)
back row: left to right. Paul, Dad, Jimmy
front row: Caleb, Rachael, Luke and Isaac
HOWARD TERRY SELLERS
04/30/1938 to 05/05/2008
I did not make my 55 lb goal this week. I maintained and that's okay. I actually lost .2 lbs but I don't consider that a loss. I am struggling with some health issues and have been unable to exercise so pray for me and hopefully I will meet my goal next week. I refuse to give up. I will post a recipe later in the week.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post about your father. I'm sure he would be very proud to read this. I have to honestly say I can't understand how you must have felt during this struggle, but I am glad that the Lord gave you the answers you needed to have a peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sweet post and a great reminder for all of us.

    ReplyDelete