Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What we did not know...

December 10,2008
Today has been a good day! I went to weigh in this morning and lost 3.4 lbs. This brings my total to 28.4 lbs and I am feeling good. It is so refreshing to feel energetic again and not so sluggish all the time. For the first time in a long time, I can lean over, tie my shoes, and not feel as though I am going to pass out! Laugh if you need to, but I am serious. I had gotten to the point where I could not even sit and cross my legs without being uncomfortable. I noticed last night as Jimmy and I were watching The Biggest Loser (my favorite show now) that I had my legs crossed as I was sitting on the sofa. It's amazing at what a 28 lb difference can do. I was walking and jogging on the treadmill last night and before I had realized what I was doing, I was already 2 miles into my exercise. I say all this to encourage others. Thin does feel as good as thin looks. Even if it is not "pencil thin" it still feels great! Just to have more mobility and to breathe without feeling faint. I am excited about the upcoming months and I still pray each morning for God to continue to give Jimmy and me the strength that only HE CAN GIVE to continue this journey. Jimmy lost another 1.5 lbs and he is doing well too. He is walking again on the treadmill and is increasing his time. I pray for him and his knees. They tend to bother him when he walks on the treadmill so he is doing a slower pace. I keep wearing my baggy clothes because I would like to hold out until spring to really start looking for some new ones. I am on the last belt loop and really need a new one but I am trying "bag & sag" for now until Spring. I have committed myself to losing for a year and then maintenance for the rest of my life. I will have to go to the meetings every week just to stay accountable. Maybe I'll go to work for Weight Watchers. HaHa! Today was my 10th week so I still have plenty of weeks left to lose additional weight. Union Grove played basketball at home on Monday and for anyone who was not able to be there, you missed some really good games. The JV team won, the boys JV team won, and the Varsity girls team won. The boys Varsity team came back from a 15 point deficit to gain a 5 point lead but still lost the game by 2. It was an intense game. Rachael really surprised us in the game and because she plays both JV and Varsity, she does not get much Varsity Play time which is expected for an 8th grader. However, the Varsity game itself was a very good game against Woodland Christian School. Our girls trailed for the first 3 quarters and towards the end of the 3rd quarter, Mr.Steinhaus subbed Rachael in for Allison. Rachael stole the ball and made a long pass to assist Laura Beaver in a 2 point shot. This tied the game up and we entered the 4th quarter. Allison came back in but Tiffany fouled again so Rachael was subbed back in. She stole the ball again and this time came down court all the way, weaving herself in and out between girls like a bullet and shot a lay up. It was awesome and Union Grove lead for the first time in the game. A few minutes later, I see Rachael coming up court again, having gotten the rebound, she shot up court and scored another lay up shot. It was a very proud moment for her parents and her brother who came to the game. Nick said later, "I did not know Rachael could play such good ball." After the games, the coach from Woodland spoke to me near the concessions and asked me if Rachael was indeed an 8th grader. I responded with a yes and he said, "she turned that game around and did it very well." He said she was a tall as the senior players out there and she would only continue to improve her skills. I thought that was very nice of him. It makes you feel proud as parents when others pay your children compliments. T.W.Bailey walked over to us at the game and asked us why we were hiding Rachael's talents. I asked him what he meant and he said that he had came over to the church Monday and heard singing from the Chapel. He went inside and he said Rachael was on stage practicing. He said that she had the prettiest voice and could not understand why she was not singing in church. I told him that we did not know she was singing and that if she knew we were ever listening to her sing, she would stop. I asked Rachael about coming to watch her sing on Thursday of this week because she is singing for Chapel services for Honor Society and she said that she did not want us there. She told me it would make her nervous if we were watching her sing. It is amazing at the things you do not know as parents about your children that you learn as they grow. I am going to go to the Church in the morning but stay in the vestibule so that she does not see me. I would just love to hear her sing just once. I met my sis today and we picked out a nice Mother's ring for our mother. We are giving it to her at Christmas. Her wedding ring from my dad and her mother's ring were stolen 3 years ago in a break in and never recovered. All four of us decided to purchase her a new mother's ring for Christmas. We are excited about giving it to her. Tonight is WOL teens and I am looking forward to seeing my girls. It is nice to talk with them and share God's word. I am studying in the book of Mark and just read passage this morning where Jesus is speaking of the breaking of bread and passing and drinking from the cup and he refers to his broken body and blood that will be shed for the sacrifice he will make for our sins. He and the disciples are at the Last Supper and he is speaking of his crucifixion that will soon come. He also refers to the betrayal that will occur (regarding Judas) and the denial from Peter. It has been an awesome message and I have enjoyed studying in Mark. It also goes to show each of us that we all can fall. Just as Peter said he would never deny the Lord, he did. We have to be careful about saying the word "never". We can stumble if we are not careful. That is why it is so important to hide God's word in our hearts. I love the LORD and I love being in his word. He is my Great Guide and Comforter! It is raining to beat the band so I am going to get some work done inside the office while I can. We have a busy week ahead. Church tonight, a Christmas play tomorrow night with friends, an outing with Friends on Friday, ball tournament Saturday morning, Grove Girls outing Saturday night, Lunch Sunday after church with family & friends, and family portraits Sunday afternoon. Wow, I will need lots of energy for all of this!

2 comments:

  1. I was going to suggest sneaking in to see her. Great minds, or should I say Nosey Moms, think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel played a great game on Monday night.

    I am so proud of you Angie! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete