Friday, October 24, 2008

October 24, 2008

Its Friday and I am looking forward to the end my work day. I am going to work the RU daycare tonight for a good friend. Her parents are coming to town an I want her to be able to visit with them. I don't have any big plans other than trying to get some laundry and housework done but it can wait. I once heard someone say, "there will always be something you need to do in your house, so just leave it for another day and enjoy the day that God has given you today!" I guess I have been enjoying the last week because my house is a wreck! I will work on it tomorrow. Jimmy called at lunch and he found some pumpkins for Rachael to carve. I am going to try and put out some fall decorations and her pumpkins. I don't think you ever get to old to carve a pumpkin. She enjoys doing this and we enjoy watching her. Jimmy and I went to the parent teachers conferences last night at the school and got good reports on Rachael. A few of the teachers questioned why we were even there, but I told them as parents Jimmy and I wanted to know how we could help them and if there were any areas of behavior that Rachael needed to work on. Mrs. Pressley is very sweet and gave us a wonderful report on Rachael. She said she loved Rachael very much and that Rachael was always very respectful to her. Mrs. Hartman echoed Mrs. Pressley and said that Rachael was very smart and was doing great in her advanced math class. Mrs. Hernadez also gave us a good report but wanted us to work with Rachael on studying more for her quizzes and keeping her notes organized. She seems to think that Rachael is sprouting a few wings and "gazing" on the boys. I laughed. She then proceeded to tell us that Rachael is a "social butterfly." I did not interrupt her, but I could have told her that Rachael was a social butterfly the day she began to talk. She has never had a problem talking. She loves to have fun with her friends and she loves to socialize. She must get it from her mother. She can be so hyper and giggly but I love that about her. I love that she loves life and I pray that she never looks back and wishes for more. I want her to know that her mom and dad loved her with all their heart and how very very blessed we have been to call her our daughter. I was not raised to show many emotions and hugs were few and far between in my home but with Rachael, God has made it so easy. She has a sweet spirit about her and even when I am ready to "pinch her neck off", I can still see the sweet spirit inside her. Sometimes when we have to say something to her about school or homework or her behavior, she gets mad and responds with a rebellious tone. I will look at her and ask her if (1) are we deserving of her anger? and (2) is God pleased with her anger? Of course, in her mind, the response to number (1) might be yes but she doesn't express it verbally but I can always see the humbleness come out in her to number (2). I can see the immediate conviction upon her face and she becomes quiet. Rachael loves the Lord. I see this in her actions and attitude. She desires to please him and I am very thankful for this. Jimmy and I were talking last night and we were on the subject of family. We talked about how Rachael really doesn't have any relationships with any of our family because sin has kept a lot of us separated but that our church family is her extended family. I don't know what we would ever do without our church family and our close friends. They love our daughter like their own and that means more to us than they will ever know. I really tread the days of dating though, and I know me and Jimmy will probably be hiding out in many bushes and trees. (ha ha) I miss Rachael being a child as much as I love the young lady she is becoming. I pray that she and I will always be close as a mom and daughter. I don't ever want her to question if she was loved and how valuable she is to me. I tell her and that is what I focus on; making sure I tell her so that she always knows the truth. Lord willing, I will be there for every aspect of her life. She is trying out for basketball this week and I am looking forward to the season. Rachael loves basketball more than any other sport and I pray that she does well. We are supposed to go to a chili cook-off at some friends Saturday night and Jimmy is getting his championship chili recipe ready. I hope that it is lowfat and not full of points. Haha! We are still going strong with our healthy lifestyle change and weight watchers. Please continue to pray for us. Kelli might come home this weekend and I pray that she does. We would really like to spend some time with her. Nick came by last night and we got to visit with him for awhile. I really wish he would come to church. We pray for him and Kelli but we also want them to know that the door is always open for them in our home. We love them very much. There has also been some sadness this week and celebration. Our youth pastor, Jeremy Pollard announced his resignation Wed. night from the church. He is taking a children's pastoral position at a church in Durham and we are happy for them but sad for us. We will miss them terribly and we don't always want to willing let go of those we love, but God is moving them in a different direction in their lives and we must accept this and pray for them. I hope they come to visit often. I did not know Jeremy and Tiffany very well when they first came to Union Grove but the last 2 years, Jimmy and I have come to love them very much. We enjoyed going to WOL camp with them this past summer and having them out to the house for dinner. They are a blessing and true friends. Rachael will have a hard time with them leaving. She loves them dearly and Stephen is precious to her. She tells me every morning she just cannot believe they are leaving. I just tell her to enjoy them while they are here and to pray for them as they continue to do God's will. I have used all my lunch time, so I am going to get back to work and get busy. Jimmy is calling (again). These city workers have "way to much time on their hands." ha ha!

2 comments:

  1. Glad everything is going good for Rachael in school. She has too much of her mom in her to cause trouble!
    I read below about your continued weight loss. Hang in there and don't be discouraged over only losing 2 lbs. It's better than gaining it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been really interested in RU recently, and want to ask Jimmy if I could maybe get involved and help out where he needs me. I feel the same way that Rachael does about Jeremy and Tiffant, because Jeremy has been a huge mentor in my life and has gave me huge responsibilities in our youth group that most guys that are in Bible college studying youth ministry like me will ever get at a church while still in college.

    ReplyDelete